Friday, February 22, 2013

How Good Do We Have it?

Orma Men on Village Patrol
         Currently in Kenya, upcoming elections have stirred incredible violence between neighboring clans. The Orma and Pokomo ethnic groups are resorting to physical violence in support of their political leaders. As this New York Times article states, "ethnically based militias are mobilized, and neighbors start killing neighbors." Neighbors are killing each other. Under no circumstances could I ever visualize my neighbors killing each other. Regardless of ethnicity or political preferences, such actions shouldn't ever occur.

         Once seeing these atrocities in Kenya, it really opened my eyes to how wonderful elections are in the United States. Never would I think that widespread death would ever occur as a result of an American election. Sure, with opinion clashes comes disagreement and insults, but not to the magnitude like what's transpiring in Kenya currently.

Voters Voting
         I know that my neighbors have different political affiliation than my family, but something that petty I feel would never spark violence between us. For that reason, I feel truly proud to live in this current peaceful Democracy. Even if one's preferred candidate doesn't win the election within the United States, violence is really never an option, which is beautiful in comparison to Kenya. 

As seen in the picture at left, these Americans are most likely voting for different candidates, but violence isn't in the cards like it will be for Kenyans. It's a beautiful thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment